Wednesday, February 12, 2003

As soon as the fun started it has been brought to an abrupt end. Having experienced no hearing in my left ear for a couple of days I decided (or rather Jen persuaded me) to go to the doctors to get it checked out as the ear drops we'd bought were having no effect. I also got a bit of blood in my mask on every dive so was a little nervous...although the instructors did say providing I had no pain there was nothing to worry about. Well to cut a long story short my left ear's in a bit of a mess, blood everywhere and the skin around the ear drum is not in a good state. The bottom line is: no flying for 4 weeks, no diving for 8-12. GUTTED! We'd just found something we really enjoyed and now we can't partake, possibly for good. I have got some medication which will hopefully help to clear it up but if it gets painful I have to go back and get it lanced...fun fun fun...

Incidentally we arrived at A & E at 9.10am, blood pressure and weight were taken on the spot, and I was seen, out, and given prescribed drugs (2 different drugs - one for decongestion, and the other sort of nose drops) by 9.40. Are you reading Mr Blair?? The total charge was 890 B - c. 12.50 quid, the cost of 2 prescriptions back home. On an Island, in a country where the average GDP is under 1,500 GBP. Hmmmmmmmmmm I suppose you could therefore say 12.50 GPB is alot of money here then and they only cater for tourists but they do do special rates for locals... at least we're not paying any tax for 12 months!!

So what now? Looks like 24 hours on a train after 2 hours on a boat - no 1st class (private compartment) tickets left so it'll be stinky 2nd air-con or fan (whatever's left) all the way...boy we'rte going to need a shower by the end of that!

Better news is that our parcel has finally cleared customs and Lynn has some brand new cream cushion covers...we're still looking for the terracotta ones...

I think we're off to play pitch and putt today where I will get my arse well and truely spanked by my wife as usual.


No comments: